The Small Arms Weapon Expert course (SAWE) provides an intense learning experience in small arms training, maintenance, and qualification. The SAMG Course was discontinued and this course was created to bridge the gap between SDM and Sniper.
Training is focused on live fire range operations. Weapons include the M16/M4 rifle, M249 squad automatic weapon, M240B light machine gun, M203/M320 grenade launcher, M9 pistol, M2.50 caliber machine gun, MK19 40mm machine gun, and associated optics. Students, also, receive instruction in the tactical employment of crew served weapon systems. Students also receive instruction on qualification and mobilization courses of fire for small arms. Students must develop and present instructional plans and conduct range operations for each weapon system. Students must pass all written and performance examinations on all weapon systems in order to graduate.
Cadre work closely with student teams to ensure current standards are met and to maximize learning conditions. Graduates of this course are intended to return to their state or unit as Small Arms Master Gunners, and conduct Small Arms Warrior Task training for units and higher headquarters.
This two-week course is limited to E-4 through E-8, W-1 through W-2, and O-1 through O-2. All attendees must have qualified with their individual weapon within the past year. This course is fast-paced and not recommended for individuals who have trouble qualifying with their assigned weapon. All applications must be made through the ATRRS system.
Students must bring the following items:
- Ballistic Helmet (Kevlar) or ACH w/ helmet band, chin strap, and cover.
- Current Load Bearing System (LBV, etc….).
- Gloves (range operations).
- Camelback (if available).
- Personal Protective Eyewear (PPE)
- Wet/cold weather gear (Arkansas is cold during the months of November thru April).*
- Assault Pack.
- Compass, Lensatic w/ case
- Enough duty/PT uniforms to last two-weeks (one-day laundry service is available).
- Sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Writing material for taking notes.
- Copy of most recent weapon qualification scorecard.
- Five copies of your orders.
- Copy of your pre-execution checklist.
- Government Travel Card or enough money for personal needs and meals.**
- Dietary supplements are not authorized for use by any personnel at any time throughout the course.
- No cellular phones or pagers during duty hours
- No fixed blade or folding knives over 4 inches
- No civilian clothes of any type during duty hours
- Privately owned firearms are strictly prohibited
Open bay billeting will be available to the students. You will report to Building 4960 NLT 1530 for further billeting information. If you arrive after 1530 signs will be posted leading you to the barracks. You may bring comfort items such as pillows, blankets, clock radio, ice chest, etc. DO NOT REPORT TO POST BILLETING. ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO STAY IN ASSIGNED OPEN BAY BILLETING DURING THIS COURSE.
Questions concerning the SAWE course may be directed to the NGMTC Marksmanship Training Battalion, (DSN) 962-4381/4420 or (Commercial) (501) 212-4381/4420.
For a current listing of all of our school dates, please search the ATRRS Course Catalog under the appropriate fiscal year. Course Number 964-SAW-E.
*We are not able to issue any clothing here, so be sure you are issued cold weather clothing from your unit.
**It is the responsibility of the Soldier to ensure that he/she has a Government Travel Card, obtains a travel advance, or otherwise can cover all expenses before departing home station.